Tuesday 25 October 2016

Col'Cacchio - Camps Bay Western Cape


So wanting to dip our toes into the very cold ocean, and me wanting to show my son Camps Bay, led to us hopping into the trusty Uber and heading off to a very busy main road on a Saturday late afternoon.

We made our early dinner choice by standing on the beach with our backs to the sea and the plethora of eateries in front of us.  Col'Cacchio is one I have visited before in Camps Bay as well as elsewhere and I have yet to be disappointed, so they won the beach roulette of restaurants. 

The restaurant is situated on the first floor of the building and it fully utilises the magnificent view by having massive windows all the way around.  Sunset does bring with it blinding rays, but the restaurant is geared for this.  It truly is a beautiful setting. 

Service - It could not be faulted.  The waiter was very knowledgeable when it came to the menu and he was attentive without being intrusive.  He was happy to make suggestions re dessert and the cocktails and kept up lively conversation in describing these.  When my food arrived, I wanted just a twist of coarse salt on my salad, but managed to dislodge the lid of the salt grinder, releasing an entire container of salt all over my food.  He immediately lifted the plate and said the salad would be remade.  However I assured him that simply "shaking out the plate" would be sufficient.  Good however that they were prepared to fix my error. 

Drinks - The cocktails were exactly as described on the menu, and served ice cold.  We chose Green apple daiquiri's and they were more than happy to make the one alcohol free even though that does not actually appear under the Mocktails list.  The perfect accompaniment to the view.  My cappuccino afterwards was rich and foamy, however I would have liked it to be a little hotter, since I had especially requested that. 

Food - I decided to combine a salad and a starter and had the Piatto di Cibo which is a platter of salami, salame piccante, prosciutto crudi, chorizo and olives (which they held since I do not eat olives).  I added some mini pizza bread at the waiter's suggestion.  It comes served on a board and the meats are fresh and beautifully presented.  Along with that I had a Caesar salad to which I added italian anchovy.  It was a big portion and although all restaurants salads seem to be the mini mountain of lettuce, they ensured that the mountain topping was generous - so that it was lettuce 50% and toppings 50%, which is most often not the case.  Very fresh and the perfect menu item to accompany my platter. 

My son had a pizza with bacon and feta and given the amount of pizza he eats, I trust his view that this was crispy, well sized and more than adequately topped. 

Despite his fantastic descriptions, we were not able to still find space for the marvellous desserts the waiter outlined.  

Pricing - When one looks at the pricing of the pizzas, you need to keep in mind the cost of a large pizza at the average franchise pizza takeaway stores - in relation this is perfectly in line.  Also, those cannot compare to this.  Good pizza costs upwards of R100 for a large and well filled one. My platter was R88 and given the amount of meats on there, it was a reasonable price to pay along with R56 for a very filling salad. I consider it money well spent.   

So if you want great Italian food - this is the place for you.  If you want great Italian food and a breathtaking view - this is definitely the place for you. 

Anche l’occhio vuole la sua parte (The eyes want their part – in the sense that something has to be pleasing to the eyes – apart from having other qualities).






Till soon 
K xx


Col'Cacchio
Isaac's Corner
Cnr Victoria Road & The Meadway
Camps Bay 

Hours 11am to 11pm Monday to Sunday 

(021) 438-2171/0

No comments:

Post a Comment