Friday 28 October 2016

Old Town Italy - Menlyn Maine Pretoria

I ended up here by accident one morning as I was waiting for the DHL courier store to open and was in dire need of a coffee. 

Without realising that it had two entrances, I found a little area opposite Woolworths with quaint tables and chairs and settled myself down.  Only afterwards at the invitation of the waiter did I enter the doors into what is quite a magical tastebud experience. This is not just a restaurant, this is like walking through the looking glass into a cobblestone street and moving from counter to counter in what is certainly a bite of Italy.  It will take a longer review than normal to cover this. 

Right in the entrance is the charcuterie - meat shop.  It reminded me of the photos my daughter sent me when her cheflife took her to Parma in Italy for a week.  The photos she sent of the meats hanging in the speciality stores - this is the first time I see something similar.  They are displayed along with more beautiful cheese than you can imagine and everything is available for tasting - fresh, tart, rich, tingling against your palette. There is nothing like the aroma of prosciutto and mortadella.

Between the sections is the most beautiful selection of pastas, Italian foodstuffs and products and all such.  The finest vermicelli and other in flavours that set your tastebuds alight.  The products are imported and I looked at them through the eyes of my daughter, hearing her voice telling me the uses for each ..... when you stand here, you want to cook - you must cook. There is fresh produce, juices .. everything to appeal to your every sense. And turn around - because behind you is a selection of pastries that you have to behold. 

Dragging yourself onwards you will walk straight into the gelato bar - your sugar count soars simply looking at the fantastic selection available and it comes accompanied by a sweet and chocolate counter that stretches to the door.  The confectionery is beautiful.  Pricey
 and very very beautiful.  I even spotted a giant slab of chocolate that looked as if you could eat on it for a year ..... for R695.  Lovely shopping with the eyes.  

Opposite you find their artisan bakery and if you are a lover of the fresh smell of bread, you could find yourself drowning in this section - decadent aromas.  If you are carb watching ... best you walk a wide arc around here. 

They also have a dedicated Wine Room which is at exactly the right location ... slightly darker, slightly cooler and a very impressive collection.  

There are many tables all over the restaurant scattered between the various sections.  No matter where you choose you will marvel at the attention to detail of the interior itself and the various items that are included in the decorating.  No expense was spared, this is obvious. 

Now on to the actual food part -

Service - Warm and friendly - helpful and happy to oblige requests like my continual one of my coffee being hot please.  Waiters are well turned out and there seem to be no shortage. It was actually the waiter on my first visit who asked me if I had ever been inside and invited me to come and look.  Imagine if he had not ....... On the 2nd visit however we appeared to have too many waiters as there was quite a mixup with the order. 

Food - The first time I went I had IL Bosco Rosso - all their eggs are free range and these were served poached with streaky bacon and hollandaise sauce, accompanied by artisanal bread- I had rye.  The portion was generous and it was served hot with lovely crispy bacon. The 2nd time I went I decided to try the Artisanal Bread selection served with Edam Cheese and Homemade Jam.  The only problem was that it arrived with only one type of bread and when I pointed out that the menu said "selection" the waiter said that they did not serve it like that.  You have to choose one. I left it but still feel that if you get to choose one then it should read differently.   I ordered it with a side of streaky bacon as well as the baked beans at her suggestion.  Very tasty.  I am not a baked beans fan generally, but this was delicious and spicy.  My friend had half and also ordered the Sebastians sausage patties topped with poached eggs, oven dried tomatoes and ginger marmalade. 
There was some confusion when it arrived.  On his plate was his Sausage patty breakfast and also my bacon and my little silver dish of beans.  I had my bread and jam and edam. So we had to move all my bits and pieces from his plate to mine by hand which left his plate looking very empty and unfinished and obviously not so clean having lifted my bacon off it. Also the ginger marmalade did not arrive., we had to ask twice. Perhaps the waitress just had an off day - she was very friendly in trying to solve it but there were several mistakes. Maybe the fact that we were served by 3 different people had caused the confusion.  The continual fidgeting to remove and add things to his plate did irritate my friend. 

Drinks - I had several cappuccinos and my friend an espresso and cappuccino - they were good. 

Pricing - Very well priced for breakfast.  My artisanal toast brekki was R35 plus the bacon and beans and his breakfast R72 which is very competitive matched against some chain franchises which cannot be compared in style.   I find their cappuccinos at R22 very cheap. I cannot comment on any other part of the menu or its pricing, except the breakfast menu. 

I also want to note that on my first visit, whilst strolling through, a wonderful man called Taki, approached me - he was seeing the joy on my face looking at everything and came over to ask if it was my first visit.  What followed was a 30 minute animated chat between us as he explained everything about this wonderful market experience to me and we spoke at length about my chef daughter, her training and position in CT.  He said that when she visits in Nov she should definitely be brought over to say hi.  This will happen on the 4th when she arrives as I intend to treat her to lunch here.  I think a professional chef like her will find great joy in this place. 

So go along - but be warned .... on Sunday we went past as I wanted my hubby and son to experience the food and the waiting time for a table was an hour.  So we left.  Perhaps try in the week if you can - but try you must!!! 

Qui si mangia con tutti i sensi!





till soon 
K xx






Old Town Italy
Shop 53, Menlyn Maine Shopping Centre
 210 Amarand Avenue Pretoria 
 012 348 2802

Trading hours - to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment