Monday 31 October 2016

Lucky Bread Co - Brooklyn Mall Pretoria

There are a lot of options to choose from if you wish to eat, or more specifically find coffee, in Brooklyn Mall.  One of my regular spots is the modern little "under the escalator" Lucky Bread Co.  My review will cover my last 3 visits combined. 

This place is welcoming - the design of the counters, the colour choices, the artisan breads on the shelves, the counter space utilised to display some food choices, the dress of the waiters, make this establishment visually appealing. 

You can order at the counter for take out and wait at one of the bar stools, or be seated on the other side where a number of tables are available as well as long wooden "sharing" tables.  Please be warned, when you sit down on the chairs at the tables you will slide slightly backwards which always manages to catch me unawares and amuses me when I see other patrons sit for the first time, because for one minute you think the seat is giving way. 

Service - the waiters are quick and friendly.  They know the menu and are happy to oblige requests. 

Food - One of my favourites here is the hot pressed sarmie with gypsy ham and a very unique sweet mustard along with tomato and white cheddar - you can choose your bread and I usually, as with this visit, choose sourdough. The mustard dressing is really good and the filling is properly melted and hot.  I hate it when you get a toasted sandwich and the filling is just lying there, cold and staring at you.  Just like toasting two pieces of bread and then slapping on the filling.  That is not a toasted sandwich. I have also had it with rye, just as good. 

Important to note that if you order it as a take out, you get it nicely wrapped in a serviette and placed in a decent little packet. 

Drinks - The cappuccino is always foamy and they use great beans here, but one thing I do wish to comment on is that when you have it served in a cup, it is a very small serving ... I seem to finish it in a couple of sips ... the cup is tapered and gets narrower towards the bottom.  The take out portion seems much larger.  I have once before ordered a take out one and had it at the table with my lunch.  More coffee addict sized serving. You should also look at their counter display of single origin beans - there is much to choose from. 

Pricing - I find their pricing well in line, if not below the other restaurants in the mall both for food and drink.  The hot pressed sarmie at R54 is worth it and cappuccinos at R20 are a steal.  I have also had the berry, banana and yogurt smoothie - a healthy choice for both your body and wallet at R25. 

Conveniently situated right underneath the escalators to the movies, pay them a visit on your next movie night - you will be glad you did.





Till soon
K xxx



Lucky Bread Co
Shop 289, Mezzanine level, Brooklyn Mall, Veale St, Pretoria

No comments:

Post a Comment